Big news for Shanghai coffee lovers and everyone else in this world! Starbucks Shanghai Reserve Roastery, the world’s largest and most environmentally friendly Starbucks officially opened to the public yesterday on December 6! Located along Nanjing Road, the 30,000-square-foot Starbucks Roastery, which is more than twice as big as the only other Reserve Roastery in Seattle, is described as the “first fully-immersive coffee wonderland in China.”
The Starbucks Shanghai Reserve Roastery is no doubt a revolution and innovation, it is officially the largest, and the first Starbucks Reserve Roastery outside the U.S.; it is equipped with Starbucks first-ever in-store Augmented Reality experience; and it provides unique beverage menu items that cannot be found at any other Starbucks in China. Most importantly, it is aiming to achieve the highest level of green building certification – LEED Platinum, which demonstrates the best environmental performance.
Environmental Performance – LEED Platinum Certification
Being a leader in the retail and coffee industry, Starbucks is also committed to reduce their environmental footprint and contribute positive influences. Starbucks hired BEE to provide sustainable design and construction consulting for their Shanghai Roastery. The store incorporates an array of innovative technologies focused on maximizing the health and well-being of the store’s customers and employees while minimizing energy, water, material consumption and thus environmental impacts. The store is aiming to achieve LEED Platinum certification – the highest level of LEED certification. LEED (Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design), created by the U.S. Green Building Council, is the world’s most widely recognized green building rating system.
Starbucks Shanghai Reserve Roastery’s Sustainability Practice:
- China’s first Starbucks Teavana Bar, a reimagined tea experience supported by the world’s only bar made entirely from 3-D printed recycled materials
- Real-time air quality monitoring to ensure the air quality at the store
- High-efficiency water-saving appliances realizes 45% Water Use Reduction
- High energy efficient appliances contributes to 40% Lighting Power Reduction
- Recycled and/or salvage 75% of non-hazardous construction and demolition
- Low-VOC materials and GREEN LABLE PLUS certified vestibule carpets to ensure healthy environment
- Green education workshops for employee and customers
- Social impact contributions include creating opportunities for groups facing barriers, and improving lives of Yunnan coffee farmers and their families
Air Quality Monitoring in Starbucks Shanghai Reserve Roastery
In addition to providing sustainable consultancy for the Roastery, BEE incorporated the QLEAR Intelligent Building Management system to monitor the store’s indoor air quality in real-time at the store. The system provides live PM2.5, CO2, TVOC, Temperature and Relative Humidity monitoring and reporting which ensures a healthy and pleasant environment, and positive customer experience.
Starbucks LEED Stores
In addition to the Shanghai Roastery, BEE is also working closely with the Starbucks team to pursue LEED certification for their stores in:
- Hefei, China
- Shanghai Expo, China
- Kobe, Japan
- Tokyo Roastery, Japan (Third Roastery in the world)
- Milan Roastery, Italy (Fourth Roastery in the world)
Note: all the photos in this blog credit to Starbucks Coffee Company.